More on the continuing saga of the project that doesn’t want to go away.
For those of you that saw the previous attempts at this may notice the shape is different. This one is square as opposed to a horizontal rectangle, and has a different framing molding. We had attempted to make 3 others like the first all cracking in similar ways. After speaking with a friend that’s a ceramics professor at a local university and 2 clay manufactures we determined that the breaking was the results of stress fractures being cause by our handling and most likely from setting the tile into the kiln. We are now sliding the big ass tiles onto the kiln shelf and setting the shelf and tile together into the kiln. We also fired the tiles very slow, total firing time 32.5 hrs. I think the electric meter fell off the house from spinning so fast for so long.
We built 2 more tiles just like we made the original, 1 cut up into 6 pieces and 1 whole. Our client will have a choice of which she likes better and we’ll sell the others here or on ebay…hint, hint. This has been quite the learning experience for us, as well as a frustrating as hell experience. Ceramics is a drawn out experience. You make something and wait a week or more for it to dry before you can even bisque fire it, then you glaze it and fire it again before you even know what you’ve got. We’re going to try some other large tiles with a clay that has more grog in it (the clay is courser and less plastic) that’s used for larger sculptural pieces.